Left Unions Refuse Government's Offer, Say Friday Strike Holds

Trade unions have refused to call off a huge strike on Friday despite the government agreeing to some of their demands including raising the minimum wage of a large swathe of labour.

Finance Minister Arun Jaitley this afternoon said the minimum wage for semi-skilled non-agricultural workers will be increased from Rs. 246 to Rs. 350. States can choose to improve that, but cannot offer less. However, union leaders said states like Delhi and Karnataka already offer more than that. "The announcement on daily wages means only status quo," said Tapan Sen of CITU or the Centre of Indian Trade Unions. "No major demand has been accepted, there is no question of calling off the strike," he said.

Mr. Jaitley said that two years' worth of bonuses due to central employees will be released now. However, he said the government will not consider its new rules on foreign investment.

Yesterday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi called an emergency meet of Mr Jaitley, Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya and Power Minister Piyush Goyal to strategise about what could be offered to unions to persuade them to cancel Friday's shutdown, which is meant to close banks, government offices and factories across the country. Several state unions have said they back the strike, which means public transport could be affected.

The unions have since September last year been pushing for 12 major demands include raising the minimum wage. They are also opposed to the government's recent loosening of rules for foreign investment particularly in sectors like insurance and defence, where, they say, national security could be compromised.

The strike and accusations of not protecting workers' interests come at a time when the government is delivering major reforms to re-energise the economy, and trying to fight the perception of it aligning with the interests of big business.

The PM last week told his party leaders that they must publicise and more effectively communicate pro-poor welfare schemes.

The Bhartiya Mazdoor Sangh (BMS), a major union linked to the ruling BJP's ideological mentor, the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh or RSS, has said it will skip Friday's strike, with leaders saying that the government has accepted several of its major demands.

If it had participated in the strike, Left-affiliated unions and the opposition would have been able to claim that the government's policies are unacceptable even to agencies with close ties.

Corporation Commissioner Inspects Amma Unavagams as Part of Quality Assessment Drive

Coimbatore Corporation Commissioner M Sivaguru Prabakaran inspected Amma Unavagams across the city to upgrade infrastruc...

Sulur Minor Girl Sexual Assault and Murder Case: Judicial Custody Till June 5 for Accused Undergoing Treatment at GH

In the sexual assault and murder case of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur, Coimbatore, one of the accused Karthik has been...

Free 3D artificial limb camp for differently-abled in Coimbatore

Narayan Seva Sansthan will organise a free corrective surgery screening and 3D artificial limb measurement camp for diff...

Sulur Minor Girl Murder: Police Register POCSO Case Against Arrested Accused

POCSO charges have been invoked in the Sulur minor girl murder case after police investigations confirmed that the child...

DMK State Art and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary Meena Jayakumar Resigns from All Party Posts

Meena Jayakumar, DMK State Arts and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary, resigned from all party positions including basic...

Second suspect in Sulur minor girl murder case remanded

Mohanraj, the second accused in the murder of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur in Coimbatore, has been remanded to judicial...