Bangladesh arrests 85 Islamists in crackdown after wave of killings

Authorities in Bangladesh have arrested at least 85 militants as part of a broad crackdown on Islamists after a wave of brutal attacks on minorities and liberal activists, police said on Sunday.

A total of more than 5,000 suspected criminals has been arrested since law enforcement agencies began a week-long drive on Friday to halt a series of targeted killings in the mainly Muslim nation.

All arrests were made on specific charges, national police chief A K M Shahidul Hoque said, relating to firearms, narcotics and other offences. "We will have to prevent the emergence of militancy collectively as a whole nation," Hoque said.

In the past week an elderly Hindu priest, a Hindu monastery worker and a Christian shopkeeper were hacked to death in attacks for which Islamic State (ISIS) claimed responsibility. The Muslim wife of a key counter-terrorism police official was also stabbed and shot dead.

Militants have killed more than 30 people in Bangladesh since early 2015, with atheist bloggers, liberal academics, gay rights campaigners, foreign aid workers, members of minority Muslim sects and other religious groups among the victims.

ISIS has claimed responsibility for 21 of the attacks since its first claim in September 2015 and al Qaeda has claimed most of the rest, according to Site Intelligence Group, a US-based monitoring service. The government denies that either group has a presence in Bangladesh and says that home-grown radicals are responsible.

In May junior foreign minister Shahriar Alam said that Islamic State was trying to ride a wave of religious radicalisation by falsely claiming killings and said there was enough evidence implicating domestic militant groups.

Police said that two home-grown militant groups - Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen and Ansarullah Bangla Team - were behind the attacks as part of their campaign to impose strict Islamic law on Bangladesh, whose population of 160 million are mostly moderate Muslims. At least 10 suspected members of the outlawed Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen were killed in shootouts since November, including five last week, police said.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has vowed to track down the killers, blaming the growing violence on political opponents linked to Islamist parties. The opposition party, led by former Prime Minister Khaleda Zia, denies the accusations and said that mass arrests were a ploy to suppress political opponents.

“Rationalism Is the Answer to Social Media Misinformation” – DMK MP Kanimozhi in Coimbatore

DMK Deputy General Secretary and Member of Parliament Kanimozhi, while addressing a self-respect marriage ceremony in Co...

Coimbatore Stanes School Student Titus Wins Gold at Junior Mister Kids of the World 2026 in Bali

Eight-year-old Titus from Stanes CBSE School, Coimbatore, won the gold title at Junior Mister Kids of the World 2026 in...

Two Arrested for Illicit Liquor Brewing Near Coimbatore; 20 Litres Seized

Two persons were arrested and 20 litres of illicit liquor were seized during a raid conducted by the Prohibition Enforce...

Kavundampalayam TVK MLA’s Meeting With Officials at Her Astrology Office Sparks Criticism

Amid criticism over holding a meeting with Coimbatore Corporation and health officials at her astrology office, Kavundam...

Tamil Nadu Class 10 Board Exam Results to be Announced Today at 9:30 AM

Tamil Nadu Class 10 public examination results will be released today at 9:30 AM. Students can check their mark sheets o...

Neelambur murder case: One arrested, hunt on for second accused

A 41-year-old man from Ariyalur was allegedly murdered by two friends near Achankulam in Coimbatore following an argumen...