Suicide bombers target Istanbul airport, killing 36

Several suicide bombers have hit Istanbul’s Ataturk airport, killing 36 people and wounding some 60 others, Istanbul’s governor and other officials said on Tuesday.

Turkey’s NTV television quoted Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin as saying authorities believed three suicide bombers carried out the attack.

“According to initial assessments 28 people have lost their lives, some 60 people have been taken to hospitals. Our detailed inspections are continuing in all aspects,” Mr. Sahin said.

“The entry and exit of passengers are being returned to normal rapidly and planned flights will resume as soon as possible,” he added.

Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag earlier said that according to preliminary information, “a terrorist at the international terminal entrance first opened fire with a Kalashnikov and then blew himself up.”

Another official said attackers detonated explosives at the entrance of the international terminal after police fired at them.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with government protocol, said the attackers blew themselves up before entering the x-ray security check at the airport entrance.

Turkish airports have security checks at both the entrance of terminal buildings and then later before entry to departure gates. Roads around the airport were sealed off for regular traffic after the attack and several ambulances could be seen driving back and forth.

Two South African tourists, Paul and Susie Roos from Cape Town, were at the airport and due to fly home at the time of the explosions and were shaken by what they witnessed.

“We came up from the arrivals to the departures, up the escalator when we heard these shots going off,” Paul Roos said. “There was this guy going roaming around, he was dressed in black and he had a handgun.”

The private DHA news agency said the wounded, among them police officers, were being transferred to Bakirkoy State Hospital.

Turkey has suffered several bombings in recent months linked to Kurdish or Islamic State group militants.

The bombings include two in Istanbul targeting tourists which the authorities have blamed on the Islamic State group.

The attacks have increased in scale and frequency, scaring off tourists and hurting the economy, which relies heavily on tourism revenues.

Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport was the 11th busiest airport in the world last year, with 61.8 million passengers, according to Airports Council International. It is also one of the fastest-growing airports in the world, seeing 9.2 percent more passengers last year than in 2014.

The largest carrier at the airport is Turkish Airlines, which operates a major hub there. Low-cost Turkish carrier Onur Air is the second-largest airline there.

Dr Soumya Swaminathan Elected Fellow of Royal Society; MP Kanimozhi Hails Historic Achievement.

Former WHO Chief Scientist Dr Soumya Swaminathan has been elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society, becoming only the se...

A. Pavan Kumar Reddy Appointed as New Coimbatore District SP

IPS officer Allatipalli Pavan Kumar Reddy has been appointed as the new Superintendent of Police for Coimbatore district...

கோவை மாவட்ட புதிய காவல் கண்காணிப்பாளராக ஏ. பவன் குமார் ரெட்டி நியமனம்

தமிழ்நாடு அரசின் சமீபத்திய ஐ.பி.எஸ் அதிகாரிகள் பணியிட மாற்ற உத்தரவின் பேரில், ஐ.பி.எஸ் அதிகாரி பவன் குமார் ரெட்டி கோவை ம...

SIMA Delegation Meets CM, Urges Immediate Relief on Power-Related Issues..!

A delegation from The Southern India Mills’Association (SIMA) met Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Joseph Vijay in Chennai and...

SSLC Results 2026: Coimbatore Tops Kongu Region with 97.09 Percent Pass Rate..!

Pudukkottai, Sivagangai and Thanjavur emerged as the top three districts in Tamil Nadu in the SSLC Public Examination 20...

Pharmacies Strike: Over 1,500 Medical Shops Closed Across Coimbatore; Public Faces Hardship

More than 1,500 medical shops across Coimbatore district remained closed today as part of a nationwide strike demanding...