Blast in northern Syria kills at least 44


An Islamic State truck bomb has killed at least 44 people, wounded dozens more and flattened several buildings in a largely Kurdish town in northern Syria, human rights groups and state media have reported.



The blast in Qamishli was so powerful that it shattered windows and caused minor injuries across the border in Turkey. It was followed by a second motorcycle bomb a few minutes later, the Associated Press reported.

Video footage showed people fleeing blazing rubble before a second explosion sent them diving for cover.



A strategic border post under joint control of Syrian government forces and Kurdish fighters, the town has been targeted by Isis several times before, although this is the deadliest bomb assault yet.

A suicide blast killed six members of the Kurdish internal security force, known as the Asayish, in April. In July, an Isis suicide bomb killed at least 16 people in Hasaka.



Isis said the truck bomb targeted Kurdish military offices. Kurdish forces are leading the ground campaign against Isis further west, in Aleppo province.

Suleiman Youssef, a writer and Qamishli resident, said that he heard the first explosion from a few miles away. He said the blasts levelled several buildings to the ground, and that many people were trapped under the rubble.



“Most of the buildings at the scene of the explosion have been heavily damaged because of the strength of the blast,” he said.

The predominantly Kurdish, US-backed Syria Democratic Forces has been the main force fighting Isis in northern Syria. It has captured significant territory from the extremists in the past two years.



Wednesday’s explosion came as US-backed Kurdish forces pressed ahead with their offensive to take the Isis-held town of Manbij, to the east of Qamishli in Syria.

Meanwhile, the Syrian army said it had cut off all supply routes to the eastern, rebel-held part of Aleppo.



An advance by pro-government forces around the only remaining supply route into the eastern sector this month enabled them to fire on it at close range, making the battlefront Castello road too deadly to use and putting at least 250,000 people in rebel-held districts under siege.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the eastern parts of Aleppo had been under effective siege since 11 July, and that advances in recent days by pro-government forces had strengthened their control of the only route into the city.









Coimbatore Mayor Inspects Development Projects in Coimbatore North Zone

Mayor K Ranganayaki Ramachandran conducted a comprehensive field inspection of ongoing development projects in Coimbator...

Free Training Classes for Railway Assistant Loco Pilot Recruitment in Coimbatore - District Collector Announces

Following Railway Recruitment Board's announcement of 11,127 Assistant Loco Pilot positions, free training classes for c...

Coimbatore District Police Inaugurates 24/7 Master Command and Control Centre for Technology-Driven Policing

The facility has been created to function as a round-the-clock central operational nerve centre for integrated policing,...

Summer Special Trains Announced Between Podanur–Kharagpur and Kharagpur–Erode

Southern Railway has announced weekly special trains between Podanur–Kharagpur and Kharagpur–Erode to handle the increas...

Tiger Census Begins in Coimbatore District Forests with 350 Automatic Cameras

Tiger census operations have commenced across Coimbatore district's forest divisions including Valparai, Pollachi, Uland...

Peelameedu Councillor Inspects Water Pipe Repair and Sanitation Works

Ward 27 Councillor Ambika Dhanapal personally visited Peelameedu area in Coimbatore Corporation's North Zone to inspect...