Foreign tourists attacked in Afghanistan

Suspected militants have attacked a convoy carrying foreign tourists in western Afghanistan, injuring six.

Afghan officials told the media a group of a dozen travellers were escorted by Afghan army personnel on their way to Herat city when they were ambushed.

Jailani Farhad, spokesman for Herat's governor, told the BBC the tourists included eight Britons, three US citizens and one German.

Some travellers reportedly had light injuries and are in hospital.

Afghanistan's main roads are notoriously dangerous with militant attacks and kidnappings frequent.

One Afghan driver was also injured in the attack.





The identity of the armed men is unknown, although suspicion will fall on the Taliban, who have stepped up attacks right across the country.

Officials say the ambush took place in the Chesht-e-Sharif district, on the road to Herat city and that security reinforcements have been sent to the area.

Interior ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi told Afghanistan's Tolo news channel that the tourists had been on their way from Bamiyan to Herat, via Ghor.

Despite the ongoing insurgency Afghanistan does see a small number of tourists every year.

Bamiyan province especially is popular with adventure travellers, attracted by its ancient culture and natural beauty.

Corporation Commissioner Inspects Amma Unavagams as Part of Quality Assessment Drive

Coimbatore Corporation Commissioner M Sivaguru Prabakaran inspected Amma Unavagams across the city to upgrade infrastruc...

Sulur Minor Girl Sexual Assault and Murder Case: Judicial Custody Till June 5 for Accused Undergoing Treatment at GH

In the sexual assault and murder case of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur, Coimbatore, one of the accused Karthik has been...

Free 3D artificial limb camp for differently-abled in Coimbatore

Narayan Seva Sansthan will organise a free corrective surgery screening and 3D artificial limb measurement camp for diff...

Sulur Minor Girl Murder: Police Register POCSO Case Against Arrested Accused

POCSO charges have been invoked in the Sulur minor girl murder case after police investigations confirmed that the child...

DMK State Art and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary Meena Jayakumar Resigns from All Party Posts

Meena Jayakumar, DMK State Arts and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary, resigned from all party positions including basic...

Second suspect in Sulur minor girl murder case remanded

Mohanraj, the second accused in the murder of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur in Coimbatore, has been remanded to judicial...