Mahad bridge collapse: Naval teams locate wreckage of two buses under water

After an 8-days long search, the wreckage of two buses which submerged in the Mahad bridge collapse were found submerged under water on Thursday, confirmed Defence PRO.

“The two wreckage seem to be parts of buses and were found approximately 170 and 200 meters from the collapsed bridge,” said Defence PRO as quoted by ANI news.

Two state-run buses and several vehicles were swept away when a British-era bridge over the Savitri river in Mahad collapsed in which 26 bodies were recovered and 16 are still missing and feared dead in the tragedy that took place on August 2. The Navy team has been searching for the wreckage and survivors since the morning of August 4.

Mumbai-Goa highway bridge collapses, 2 buses carrying 18 people missing

Families of those declared dead in the episode are eligible for a compensation of at least Rs 10 lakh. With almost no chance of finding a survivor in the incident, the government is hoping that reducing the time period before declaring a person dead in absentia will help resolve some of the problems that their relatives might face.

Ill-fated Mahad bridge was to be brought in December 2015

The government has also decided to conduct biannual audits of bridges in the state to avoid similar tragedies in future. “There are 2,300 bridges in the state. Of this, some 100-odd were built during the pre-Independence era,” said Patil. He added that it had been decided to conduct an engineering workshop for evolving fresh guidelines for road and bridge inspection work.

Earlier on Wednesday, a public interest litigation had been filed before the Bombay High Court, seeking punitive action against the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) and state government officials who conducted the structural audit of the British era bridge near Mahad in Raigad district.

Corporation Commissioner Inspects Amma Unavagams as Part of Quality Assessment Drive

Coimbatore Corporation Commissioner M Sivaguru Prabakaran inspected Amma Unavagams across the city to upgrade infrastruc...

Sulur Minor Girl Sexual Assault and Murder Case: Judicial Custody Till June 5 for Accused Undergoing Treatment at GH

In the sexual assault and murder case of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur, Coimbatore, one of the accused Karthik has been...

Free 3D artificial limb camp for differently-abled in Coimbatore

Narayan Seva Sansthan will organise a free corrective surgery screening and 3D artificial limb measurement camp for diff...

Sulur Minor Girl Murder: Police Register POCSO Case Against Arrested Accused

POCSO charges have been invoked in the Sulur minor girl murder case after police investigations confirmed that the child...

DMK State Art and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary Meena Jayakumar Resigns from All Party Posts

Meena Jayakumar, DMK State Arts and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary, resigned from all party positions including basic...

Second suspect in Sulur minor girl murder case remanded

Mohanraj, the second accused in the murder of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur in Coimbatore, has been remanded to judicial...