Won’t skip NAM meet: India to Venezuela

New Delhi: Venezuela's foreign minister Delcy Rodriguez met her counterpart Sushma Swaraj here on Thursday to invite India for the upcoming 17th Non-Aligned Movement summit in the South American country.

After a couple of postponements, the summit will be finally held in Venezuela's Margarita Island on September 17-18.

Venezuela's envoy to India Augusto Montiel had earlier invited Narendra Modi for the NAM summit but the PM is likely to give it a miss, as reported by TOI on Wednesday. MEA said that Swaraj has confirmed India's participation and told Rodriguez that Venezuela would soon be informed about the details.

It would be interesting to see who is sent to represent India as no Indian prime minister, barring the caretaker Charan Singh in 1979, has never chosen to skip the NAM summit.

Swaraj, however, underlined the significance India attaches to NAM as one of its founding fathers. MEA spokesman Vikas Swarup said the two leaders had a substantive meeting. "They discussed the whole gamut of bilateral issues and views were exchanged on various multilateral issues, including UNSC Reform, UN peacekeeping and terrorism. The ministers agreed to move ahead for an early finalisation of various agreements in different areas, including extradition treaty, Double Tax Avoidance Agreement (DTAA), Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) on criminal matters and Air Services Agreement," said Swarup.

It was agreed that there is huge potential on both sides on the trade front and the basket needed to be diversified. The ministers also agreed that the next Joint Commission Meeting should be held soon in Venezuela.

"India raised the issue to pending payments of both public and private sector companies with the Venezuelan side. They assured that they will look into the matter for an early solution," the MEA statement said.

Chief Minister's Talent Search Exam Winners Visit Semmozhipoonkavai in Coimbatore

As part of the summer camp for Chief Minister's Talent Search Exam winners organized by the School Education Department...

MLA SP Velumani Demands ₹1 Crore Aid After 10-Year-Old's Sexual Assault and Murder in Sulur

A 10-year-old girl from Sulur, Pallapalayam, Bharathipuram area in Coimbatore district was abducted on a two-wheeler on...

Corporation Commissioner Inspects Amma Unavagams as Part of Quality Assessment Drive

Coimbatore Corporation Commissioner M Sivaguru Prabakaran inspected Amma Unavagams across the city to upgrade infrastruc...

Sulur Minor Girl Sexual Assault and Murder Case: Judicial Custody Till June 5 for Accused Undergoing Treatment at GH

In the sexual assault and murder case of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur, Coimbatore, one of the accused Karthik has been...

Free 3D artificial limb camp for differently-abled in Coimbatore

Narayan Seva Sansthan will organise a free corrective surgery screening and 3D artificial limb measurement camp for diff...

Sulur Minor Girl Murder: Police Register POCSO Case Against Arrested Accused

POCSO charges have been invoked in the Sulur minor girl murder case after police investigations confirmed that the child...