Panic at New York airport after ‘shooting’ scare

Unfounded reports of shots fired at New York’s main airport triggered scenes of panic, evacuations and huge flight delays late on Sunday.

There was no immediate confirmation of injuries or arrests, but Port Authority (PAPD) police evacuated at least two terminals at John F. Kennedy International Airport as a precaution and gave the all clear shortly after midnight.

Spokesman Joe Pentangelo said Port Authority police had received an ultimately “unfounded” call about shots fired.

No shots fired

A ground stop was in place until 12:30 am (0430 GMT) for “security” reasons, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

Around that time, New York Police Department (NYPD) Special Operations Division Chief Harry Wedin said all terminals had been “searched and cleared”.

“All affected terminals will resume operations shortly. No shots were fired,” he added on Twitter.

At Terminal 1, an AFP journalist was among passengers stranded on a plane on the tarmac for an hour and a half.

Ultimately, she was only able to leave the airport five hours after her plane landed following a flight from Frankfurt.

After deplaning, hundreds of people queuing to pass through immigration checkpoints were stuck in the area for more than two hours under heavy police presence.

Panic spread quickly through the crowd as police ordered people to lie on the ground, then evacuated them through corridors leading outside to the tarmac.

Police prohibited travellers from making phone calls or taking photographs. One man was arrested for trying to capture images of the chaotic scenes.

No evidence

The Port Authority said a preliminary investigation found no shots were fired at JFK and there were no injuries.

“At this time, no gun shells or other evidence of shots fired has been found,” a statement added.

“The terminal was evacuated out of an abundance of caution. There is substantial PAPD and NYPD presence at JFK and LGA [LaGuardia Airport]. Investigation continues.”

Mr. Wedin said earlier that Port Authority, NYPD and Emergency Service Unit police were clearing Terminal 1 and Terminal 8.

Chief Minister's Talent Search Exam Winners Visit Semmozhipoonkavai in Coimbatore

As part of the summer camp for Chief Minister's Talent Search Exam winners organized by the School Education Department...

MLA SP Velumani Demands ₹1 Crore Aid After 10-Year-Old's Sexual Assault and Murder in Sulur

A 10-year-old girl from Sulur, Pallapalayam, Bharathipuram area in Coimbatore district was abducted on a two-wheeler on...

Corporation Commissioner Inspects Amma Unavagams as Part of Quality Assessment Drive

Coimbatore Corporation Commissioner M Sivaguru Prabakaran inspected Amma Unavagams across the city to upgrade infrastruc...

Sulur Minor Girl Sexual Assault and Murder Case: Judicial Custody Till June 5 for Accused Undergoing Treatment at GH

In the sexual assault and murder case of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur, Coimbatore, one of the accused Karthik has been...

Free 3D artificial limb camp for differently-abled in Coimbatore

Narayan Seva Sansthan will organise a free corrective surgery screening and 3D artificial limb measurement camp for diff...

Sulur Minor Girl Murder: Police Register POCSO Case Against Arrested Accused

POCSO charges have been invoked in the Sulur minor girl murder case after police investigations confirmed that the child...