Soldiers protest in Beijing as China plans to cut 3,00,000 jobs to modernise PLA

More than 1,000 protesters walked and chanted in front of China's defence ministry today, the latest apparent demonstration by soldiers as the world's largest standing military modernises and downsizes.

The protesters stood for several hours in front of the Bayi building in central Beijing, home of the Chinese Ministry of National Defence. Many wore green fatigues bearing the hammer-and-sickle logo of China's ruling Communist Party.

The purpose of their demonstration was unclear. Protesters approached by The Associated Press declined to be interviewed, and censors blocked searches on social media about retired soldiers or the Chinese defence ministry.

Hundreds of police and plainclothes security officers surrounded the protesters, hemming them in with buses and police vehicles.

While Chinese authorities routinely suppress discussions about the military and soldiers' issues, one human-rights activist, Huang Qi, told the AP that veterans have staged more than 50 protests this year alone. However, demonstrations on such a large scale are extremely rare in the centre of the heavily policed capital.

Military Pension Row

Two demonstrators told AP they were veterans who wanted the government to address military pensions, but they didn't want to discuss the issue with foreign media. The protesters declined to give their names.

Liu Feiyue, the editor of the website Minsheng Guancha, which monitors civil rights issues, said he was told by retired soldiers that other ex-soldiers were present.

They protested because they don't have a job now after serving a long period of time in the army, some for a dozen years," Liu said. "They are asking for employment."

China Cutting 3,00,000 Troops

China's armed forces are undergoing a large-scale modernization to become a nimble organisation that can better handle conflicts at sea and in the air.

Those measures have gained pace as China builds up its presence in the South China and East China Seas amid territorial disputes and as relations have soured with self-governing Taiwan - which China claims as its own territory to be unified with by force if necessary.

President Xi Jinping announced last year that the 2.3-million-member People's Liberation Army would cut 3,00,000 personnel but little has been said about the cost or where the surplus troops would go.

Veterans have staged sit-ins and protests for several years over low or absent pensions and an inability to find work outside the military.

It wasn't clear if anyone had been arrested today. Local police did not respond to faxed questions, and no one answered the phone at the press office of the defence ministry.

MLA SP Velumani Demands ₹1 Crore Aid After 10-Year-Old's Sexual Assault and Murder in Sulur

A 10-year-old girl from Sulur, Pallapalayam, Bharathipuram area in Coimbatore district was abducted on a two-wheeler on...

Corporation Commissioner Inspects Amma Unavagams as Part of Quality Assessment Drive

Coimbatore Corporation Commissioner M Sivaguru Prabakaran inspected Amma Unavagams across the city to upgrade infrastruc...

Sulur Minor Girl Sexual Assault and Murder Case: Judicial Custody Till June 5 for Accused Undergoing Treatment at GH

In the sexual assault and murder case of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur, Coimbatore, one of the accused Karthik has been...

Free 3D artificial limb camp for differently-abled in Coimbatore

Narayan Seva Sansthan will organise a free corrective surgery screening and 3D artificial limb measurement camp for diff...

Sulur Minor Girl Murder: Police Register POCSO Case Against Arrested Accused

POCSO charges have been invoked in the Sulur minor girl murder case after police investigations confirmed that the child...

DMK State Art and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary Meena Jayakumar Resigns from All Party Posts

Meena Jayakumar, DMK State Arts and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary, resigned from all party positions including basic...