German bomb plot suspect kills self in Saxony prison cell

A 22-year-old Syrian man arrested in Germany for a suspected Islamic extremist bomb plot killed himself Wednesday in a prison cell in Leipzig, Saxony's state Justice Ministry said late Wednesday.

Justice Ministry spokesman Joerg Herold told The Associated Press that Jaber Albakr killed himself sometime in the evening, but that the incident was still being investigated.

A hearse was seen leaving the prison in Leipzig early Thursday thought to be carrying the body of the suspect.

The development was sure to add to pressure on Saxony state authorities, who already had been criticised for allowing Albakr to slip through their fingers as they prepared to raid an apartment where he had been staying in the city of Chemnitz on Saturday.

Albakr, who had been under surveillance by German domestic intelligence since last month, was observed exiting the apartment building and authorities fired a warning shot. He nevertheless was able to elude police on the scene and flee the city. Inside the apartment, they found highly volatile explosives and a home-made bomb vest.

Albakr, who had been granted asylum after coming to Germany last year, was finally arrested Monday in the city Leipzig after three fellow Syrians tied him up and alerted police.

Earlier Wednesday, Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said that Albakr had undergone a security check last year, but it did not turn up anything suspicious.

"There was a check against security authorities' data in 2015, but without any hits," he said. "It's not clear when he was radicalised."

German authorities have said they believe he had links to the Islamic State group and was thought to be planning to attack a Berlin airport, possibly as soon as this week.

German media have reported that after his initial arrival, Albakr later returned to Syria through Turkey and then came back to Germany. De Maiziere said that was part of the investigation and would not comment.

Federal prosecutors also refused comment.

The three Syrians who captured the suspect have already been granted asylum, de Maiziere said in response to calls for their applications to be fast-tracked due to their heroism.

He said, however, that their "behaviour deserves praise and recognition."

Chief Minister's Talent Search Exam Winners Visit Semmozhipoonkavai in Coimbatore

As part of the summer camp for Chief Minister's Talent Search Exam winners organized by the School Education Department...

MLA SP Velumani Demands ₹1 Crore Aid After 10-Year-Old's Sexual Assault and Murder in Sulur

A 10-year-old girl from Sulur, Pallapalayam, Bharathipuram area in Coimbatore district was abducted on a two-wheeler on...

Corporation Commissioner Inspects Amma Unavagams as Part of Quality Assessment Drive

Coimbatore Corporation Commissioner M Sivaguru Prabakaran inspected Amma Unavagams across the city to upgrade infrastruc...

Sulur Minor Girl Sexual Assault and Murder Case: Judicial Custody Till June 5 for Accused Undergoing Treatment at GH

In the sexual assault and murder case of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur, Coimbatore, one of the accused Karthik has been...

Free 3D artificial limb camp for differently-abled in Coimbatore

Narayan Seva Sansthan will organise a free corrective surgery screening and 3D artificial limb measurement camp for diff...

Sulur Minor Girl Murder: Police Register POCSO Case Against Arrested Accused

POCSO charges have been invoked in the Sulur minor girl murder case after police investigations confirmed that the child...