Boko Haram have just been reunited with their families

Last week, Boko Haram released 21 of the more than 200 Chibok schoolgirls the terror group kidnapped in April 2014. The girls were finally reunited with their families in Abuja, Nigeria's capital, on Sunday - after more than two years in captivity.

Families hadn't seen or had much word about their daughters, nieces, and sisters since the night Boko Haram - which, roughly translated, means "Western education is a sin" - stormed a school on April 14, 2014, where the young women were preparing for exams. "I felt like it was the day that I born her into this world," Ruth Markus, a mother whose daughter was freed, told the New York Times. "I danced and danced and danced."

The Nigerian government is currently negotiating for the release of 83 more girls with a Boko Haram splinter group that's more closely affiliated with ISIS. Boko Haram, which pledged allegiance to ISIS in 2015, has started to fracture, and that seems to have helped create the conditions for the release of the first 21 girls. Abubakar Shekau is the self-proclaimed leader of Boko Haram and was in charge of the group when the schoolgirls were abducted in 2014. But this summer, ISIS declared a different person, Sheik Abu Musab al-Barnawi, as the leader of the Nigerian militants, which ISIS sees as its West African arm. Shekau, however, is still claiming he's in power - or at least those loyal to Shekau say that. (Shekau has repeatedly been reported killed by the Nigerian government, though his death has never been confirmed. He allegedly released a video in September, but it's of such poor quality it's hard to confirm for sure that it's Shekau.) Still, the 197 girls who are are still missing are allegedly being held by Shekau, a spokesman for Nigeria's president told Reuters.

About 276 girls were abducted by Boko Haram in April 2014; 50 managed to escape on the night of the kidnapping. The 200 others were taken prisoner - reportedly either forced to marry Boko Haram fighters, or serve as slaves to the militants. Prior to the release of the 21, only one girl had been found alive after the abduction. Amina Ali Nkeki was found wandering the Sambisa Forest - a reported Boko Haram stronghold - with her 4 month-old baby and a man, also believed to be a prisoner.

The Nigerian government negotiated the freedom of the abducted girls with the help of the Swiss government and the Red Cross. The terms of the deal are a little shady: Some sources say the girls were released as part of a prisoner exchange, others have said Boko Haram received ransom payments. The Nigerian government has denied any swap and said it wasn't "aware" of any payments made to the group. The Swiss government refuted the ransom allegations.

Sulur Minor Girl Murder: Aunt Alleges Body Was Cremated Without Mother’s Consent

Fresh controversy has emerged in the Sulur minor girl sexual assault and murder case after a relative alleged that the g...

Coimbatore Girl Murder Case: Eeranenjam Shelter Home Elders Hold Candlelight Vigil Seeking Justice

Elderly residents of Eeranenjam shelter home in Coimbatore held a tearful candlelight vigil demanding justice for the 10...

Solayar Dam Water Level Stands at 21.39 Feet with Steady Inflow

Solayar Dam in Valparai recorded a water level of 21.39 feet as of May 24, with an inflow of 113 cubic feet per second d...

Parambikulam Dam Water Level Rises to 27.05 Feet Following Southwest Monsoon Rainfall

Parambikulam Dam near Pollachi has recorded a water level of 27.05 feet as of August 24, with continuous inflow of 45 cu...

Azhiyar Dam Water Level Stands at 64.7 Feet with Steady Inflow Following Rainfall

Azhiyar Dam near Anaimalai records water level at 64.7 feet against 120 feet capacity. Inflow stands at 320 cusecs while...

Chief Minister's Talent Search Exam Winners Visit Semmozhipoonkavai in Coimbatore

As part of the summer camp for Chief Minister's Talent Search Exam winners organized by the School Education Department...