United Nations refuses Saudi request to provide sources of child casualties in Yemen

The United Nations said on Wednesday it will not give the Saudi Arabia-led coalition in Yemen the sources of information that led the coalition to be put on a UN blacklist for killing and injuring about 1,200 children in the war-torn country in 2015.

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said on Wednesday that it is “paramount” to protect sources of information used in any UN report, especially in a conflict area.

Therefore, he said, the UN will refuse a request from the coalition for sources used for the Yemen section of Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s annual report on children and armed conflict.

Saudi Arabia’s UN Ambassador Abdallah Al-Mouallimi wrote to Ban on behalf of the coalition requesting the sources and other information.

Last Thursday, Ban said he temporarily removed the US-backed coalition from the blacklist for violating child rights pending a joint review of cases because its supporters threatened to stop funding many UN programs. He accused some unnamed countries of exerting unacceptable and “undue pressure.”

Ban said he stands by the report, which he said: “describes horrors no child should have to face.”

“We will assess the complaints that have been made, but the content will not change,” he said.

Ban didn’t say explicitly that the coalition could go back on the list after the review. The Saudi ambassador said last week “it is our firm belief that this de-listing is final, irreversible and unconditional.”

The report said the UN verified a total of 1,953 youngsters killed and injured in Yemen in 2015 - a six-fold increase compared with 2014-and it attributed about 60 percent of those casualties to the coalition. The UN said it also verified 101 attacks on schools and hospitals last year, double the number in 2014, of which 48 percent were attributed to the coalition.

Al-Mouallimi’s letter thanked the secretary-general for removing the coalition from the blacklist and said it “deeply regrets every human casualty in Yemen and reaffirms its commitment to taking every possible measure to protect all civilians in Yemen.”

It notes that the monitoring of violations against children is to be done in cooperation “with national governments and relevant UN and civil society actors.”

Therefore, it said, “the coalition requests a detailed overview of the methodology and modality that were used to create the numbers in the report and the sources relied on for said numbers.”

The Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen, Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sudan and the United Arab Emirates also said it is ready to cooperate with UN bodies “to exchange information”.

It invited a team of experts to visit coalition headquarters in Riyadh to “jointly review the cases and number (cq) in the report to ensure objectivity and accuracy.”

The secretary-general had invited the coalition to New York, and Dujarric said that “would be our preference.”

Spectrum’s Little Learners Dazzle at KG Assembly

Filled with joy, confidence, and creativity, Spectrum Northern Lights School’s KG Assembly transformed the stage into a...

Power Interruptions and Diesel Shortage Taking Toll on Hospitals; TECA Seeks Redressal

Amid ongoing diesel shortage issues, the Tamil Nadu Electricity Consumers’ Association (TECA) has urged the State govern...

Missing 13-Year-Old Boy Beaten to Death by Friends in Coimbatore; Two Minors Detained

A 13-year-old boy who went missing in Coimbatore’s Irugur area was allegedly beaten to death by his friends using stones...

Sri Ramakrishna Hospital Hosts Interactive Health Awareness Exhibition at Brookefields Mall

Sri Ramakrishna Hospital organized a two-day health exhibition at Brookefields Mall on May 16-17, 2026, focusing on Pulm...

Ward Councillor Inspects Sanitation Works in Peelamedu Ward 27

Ward Councillor Ambika Danabal conducted multiple inspections in Ward 27 Peelamedu area of Singanallur constituency, ove...

Ooty Flower Show Begins Today: 50 Special Buses Launched for Tourists

The 128th edition of the world-famous Ooty Flower Show commenced today at the Government Botanical Garden in Nilgiris di...