15 Philippine soldiers killed in clashes with militants

Manila: Fifteen Philippine soldiers have been killed this week and 12 others wounded in mounting clashes with the militant group Abu Sayyaf, the military said Tuesday, as the government announced plans to deploy thousands more soldiers to the group’s stronghold in the south.

It said a “series of clashes” had begun Monday, as the troops scoured jungle terrain on the southern island of Jolo in search of rebel fighters and at least 23 hostages, including a Dutch bird-watcher kidnapped in 2012 and a Norwegian abducted last year from a beach resort he helped manage.

A spokesman for President Rodrigo Duterte said Tuesday that the deaths had only strengthened the government’s resolve to crush Abu Sayyaf, which was founded in the early 1990s to fight for an independent Islamic state in the southern Philippines but which in more recent years has degenerated into a kidnap-for-ransom gang known to behead captives.

“The president is focused that the threat of the Abu Sayyaf is terminated as soon as possible,” said the spokesman, Ernesto Abella.

He said the president had approved the deployment of about 2,500 more soldiers, or five battalions, to Jolo to augment the forces there.

Corporation Commissioner Inspects Amma Unavagams as Part of Quality Assessment Drive

Coimbatore Corporation Commissioner M Sivaguru Prabakaran inspected Amma Unavagams across the city to upgrade infrastruc...

Sulur Minor Girl Sexual Assault and Murder Case: Judicial Custody Till June 5 for Accused Undergoing Treatment at GH

In the sexual assault and murder case of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur, Coimbatore, one of the accused Karthik has been...

Free 3D artificial limb camp for differently-abled in Coimbatore

Narayan Seva Sansthan will organise a free corrective surgery screening and 3D artificial limb measurement camp for diff...

Sulur Minor Girl Murder: Police Register POCSO Case Against Arrested Accused

POCSO charges have been invoked in the Sulur minor girl murder case after police investigations confirmed that the child...

DMK State Art and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary Meena Jayakumar Resigns from All Party Posts

Meena Jayakumar, DMK State Arts and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary, resigned from all party positions including basic...

Second suspect in Sulur minor girl murder case remanded

Mohanraj, the second accused in the murder of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur in Coimbatore, has been remanded to judicial...